"If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn." -Ayn Rand

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Change Is In The Air

These past few weeks have brought up some huge changes for me. Change in general can be scary and intimidating and exciting and freeing alike. While embracing the fact that it is perfectly okay to not know all the answers, things suddenly get a little easier. Sitting with a fractured foot and not being able to practice my "usual" asana, I've been given a little jump start into being more mindful and incorporating more meditation so that I can better adapt to the changes that arise. These changes are simply shifts in emotions, thoughts, daily routines, weather, food preferences, and so much more.

After finding an amazing weekly meditation sit through the Insight Meditation Community on Wednesday evenings in Bethesda, I've felt a slight shift in the amount of stress and anxiety I feel. I was first exposed to Tara Brach at a meditation workshop led by a dear friend of mine (Steve Haddad leads Vipassana Meditation in Baltimore City). After hearing Tara speak in person I am that much more impressed and soothed by her teachings. Last night's meditation was led by a guest speaker by the name of Anh-Houng Nguyen. After being in the presence of these wonderful women who have to do no more than simply call your attention to your own breath, sensations, and feelings; I feel inspired once again. After being instructed to "dial 911" and call my "inner Buddha" to the rescue, I have once again found my breath as the most useful and humble teacher of all. Coming up in mid June (17-20) is a big event for the IMC at American University called Buddha Fest which will include Buddhist teachings, films, and entertainment. After just two positive experiences with this humble community I'm looking forward to having the opportunity to see what this weekend is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment